Christmas Eve is finally here and there’s no better way to spend the night before the big day, than whipping up delicious Christmas treats with your friends or family! Pop on some carols and get creative with this simple but delicious sugar cookie recipe.
What You Need
Sprinkles or other decorations (optional)
3 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
250g unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of icing sugar
4 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees fan forced.
- In large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Place the butter and sugar into a separate bowl and beat using a mixer. Make sure you continue to beat until the mixture has become light and fluffy (around 4 minutes). Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Carefully add the dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth consistency.
- Lay out two pieces of cling wrap on a flat surface and create a ball using the dough.
- Separate the ball into two pieces and wrap each in a piece of cling wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Lightly sprinkle a flat work space with flour. You may also like to dust some flour onto your rolling pin.
- Roll out the dough until you have your desired thickness (1cm thick is ideal).
- Cut out your favourite shapes using your chosen cookie cutters and place the cookies onto a tray line with baking paper. Make sure to leave at least 2cm space either side of the cookie!
- Place the cookies in the oven for 8 minutes (you may need longer if they are larger in size).
- In a small bowl, place icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract and mix until smooth, using a fork.
- When the cookies have cooled completely, use a piping bag to outline the shape of the cookie, then fill the centre and spread evenly with a butter knife.